Requirements for Service Connections
BEFORE YOU APPLY FOR NEW SERVICE
There are four categories of customers:
- Residential/ Domestic
- Commercial Connection
- Industrial Connection
- Street Lighting
Applications for any of these services can be made at any of the following offices:
- Corporate Head Office: Paul's Avenue, Kingstown
- Service Desks:
- Bequia Power Stations, Port Elizabeth, Bequia
- Union Island Power Station, Clifton, Union Island
- Canouan Power Station, Canouan
- Mayreau Power Station, Mayreau
Applicants are advised that request for service should be made at the planning stage of construction of your house or building. This enables the following to be determined:The location of the connection point on the building
The suitability of VINLEC facility in the area
Whether a contribution will be required or not
All applicants for new supplies must submit:
- An inspection certificate signed by the Government Electrical Inspectorate which is valid for only 3 months before processing.
Applications for new supplies are handled at the Kingstown Office and at service desks in Bequia, Union Island and Canouan Power Stations.
Applications can be made as follows:
- By individuals, completing and signing the application forms at one of the above locations. This process can be begin online via our website. Identification cards, Passports or Drivers Licenses must be presented.
- Firms and companies may post written application bearing their approved stamp, authorized signatures and a copy of the certificate of registration. A copy of the application form will be returned for their records. Signed applications are legally binding contracts. Valid Value Added Tax (VAT) ID Numbers for businesses will be required.
- Applicants for large Residential, Commercial or Industrial services must submit in writing required peak electricity demand. An indication of the work methods and times of operation is also helpful.
- Applications for the service to properties which are not owned by the applicants themselves must be accompanied by a Power of Attorney (legal document stating that the applicant is an agent) or a written permission from the owner authorizing the applicant to act on their behalf. Where property ownership is indeterminate, authorization/permission must be obtained from the relevant authority.
- VINLEC will not make any connections that require the service cable to pass over the roof of another building. Where the cable will pass over land (vacant) belonging to the neighbour(s), written permission must be obtained.
- Reconnections can be made at the same locations unless the premises has been disconnected for three (3) months or more, in which case the procedure for new supply applies.